Welcome to Year 1
The classes in Year 1 are called 'Apollo' and 'Galaxy'.
The Teachers in Year 1 are Miss Naylor, Mrs Trimmings and Mrs Porter
The class Teaching Assistants are Mrs Evans, Mrs Parker, and Mrs Mellors.
This term (Summer 2) our topic is all about Australia and our learning challenge question is 'Where would you prefer to live...England or Australia?'
You can find out more about our topic by clicking on the Australian topic Knowledge Mat for this term (see side panel).
Here are some of the things that we will be doing:
· Identifying and naming a variety of common animals found in Australia.
· Learning about the adventures of Captain James Cook and his discoveries.
· Discovering more about important Australian landmarks, including Uluru and comparing the city of Sydney to Derby.
· Looking at different patterns and images associated with Aboriginal art and creating our own pictures.
· In English lessons this term we will be focusing on the story of 'Grandad's Island' by Benji Davies.
· In Mathematics, the children will be continuing to work on developing the children's understanding of place value up to one hundred. We will then move on to learning about time and money.
· In computing lessons, the children will be developing their programming skills by using Scratch Junior and creating their own algorithms.
please can you can help your children at home by....
· Reading at least 4 times a week.
· Practicing reading and spelling the common exception words for Year 1, which can be found in the front of your child's reading diary.
· Practicing the correct formation of letters (using a pre-cursive style) and numbers.
· Practicing writing their first and last name with correct capital letters.
MANY THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT!