Welcome to Year 1
The classes in Year 1 are called 'Apollo' and 'Galaxy'.
The Teachers in Year 1 are Miss Naylor, Mrs Trimmings and Mrs Taylor.
The Teaching Assistants are Mrs Evans, Mrs Parker, and Mrs Mellors.
This term (Autumn 2) our topic is called London and our learning challenge question is 'What would you find in London?'
You can find out more about our topic by clicking on the knowledge mat for this term.
Here are some of the things that we will be doing:
- Naming and labelling the four countries of the United Kingdom on a map, as well as locating London and South Normanton. Looking closely at some famous London landmarks. (Geography)
- Discovering what happened and why during the Great Fire of London in 1666, and how this affected the buildings that we see today in London. We shall also be finding out about Samuel Pepys and his famous diary. (History)
- Continuing to learn about everyday materials by building a model of a house and testing its properties. (Science)
- Focusing on the story of 'The Queen's Hat' by Steve Antony. You can listen to the story at home by clicking here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q8MQPVq_vg (English)
- Learning about addition and subtraction, before moving on to developing knowledge and skills relating to shapes. (Mathematics)
- Using a paint program to create our own digital pictures based on the style of different artists. (Computing)
- Thinking about how and why we celebrate special and sacred times. (RE)
- Celebrating difference and diversity. (PSHE)
- Designing and making Christmas cards and calendars. (Art and Design Technology)
At the end of the week we will be posting a blog and photographs on Class Dojo to tell you all about the exciting things we have been doing in school that week. This will give you the chance to talk to your children about their learning.
You can help your children at home by
- Practicing the correct formation of letters (using a pre-cursive style) and numbers.
- Practicing writing their first and last name with correct capital letters.
Please can you also ensure that your child has their PE kit in school every day.